How I survived my CBSE 12th Chemistry Board Exam

Physics exam just got over and I said to myself, “this ain’t happening again”! Physics & Math were my strong subjects and I wanted to score maximum in these two subjects. I, pretty much, under performed in my Physics exam because I never devoted the number of hours in studying the subject in the last few days. I told myself that I won’t repeat this for my next exam, Chemistry, which was 5 days away.
I got back home and had a nice long nap and prepared my plan of study for Chemistry with limitless determination in the night.
The Master Plan...
I made an unrealistic plan of studying all the chapters of book-I 3 days before the exam, all the chapters of book-II 2 days before the exam and revise everything one day before the exam. Sounds like a plan!
I literally wasted the next day as I had everything planned and scheduled for the next 3 days.
The 1st day (3 days before exam) - I woke up around 12 in the noon. It was already 2 pm till the time I had bath & a really heavy breakfast (lunch). I was already feeling drowsy. I said to myself, “I have to study but, may be, a nice little nap won’t make much difference, also I’ll be able to concentrate well after a nice nap”. I slept at 3pm and woke up at 5pm. To my surprise, my cousin woke me up. I never knew he was coming. He stays near my place and catches up whenever he is free from work.
Imagine what happened next. I spent the rest of the day with him. He left late in the night.
I said to myself "let's start studying tomorrow with a fresh mind".
2nd day (2 days before exam) - I woke up early but started studying only after 10 am. This time I did complete one chapter in 2 hours which, apparently, I already knew. It was 12 in the noon and I was feeling sleepy. I had lunch followed by a nap. I woke up in the evening and managed to complete 2 more chapters in the book-I. It was in the night that I realized I won't be able to complete my syllabus at this rate. I made up mind to speed things up for the last day.
Last day (one day before exam) - I woke up at around 10 am and my destiny decided to play with me a little. I found myself in fever. My mom took me to the doctor. I was agitated with the things happening to me. I started noticing each and every minute passing by vividly. I remember, it was 12:45 pm when we left from clinic. I again decided to take a nap. Because of this fever I wasn’t feeling good. I had my lunch, had medicines and went was a nap.
I started studying at 5 pm with the aim to complete book-I by 12-1 am and the book-II by morning (planed not to sleep). I told my Mom to bring 4 cans of Red Bull for me because I had to fight some sleep that night!
The ultimate challenge...
I managed to complete 80% of the book-I by 12 am and was already feeling drowsy. I grabbed a can of Red Bull from the Kitchen and drank the entire thing in one go. It took me 3 more hours to complete the first book. I was feeling lazy and sleepy by the time it was 3 am when suddenly I saw my second book staring at me with grin. I had my 2nd can of Red Bull and started off with the book-II. It was full of organic chemistry (the thing I hate the most). I managed to study first 2 chapters well and screwed up with all the rest.
The situation was bad and I knew what I did to myself and what better I could have done. Trying to keep my calm, I consoled my heart "yes I have studied well for the exam" but deep inside my heart knew how well I've screwed things up.
Just like a brave warrior I decided not to give up and studied till I couldn’t take any more word inside. I over did it this time, I know! I was still feverish and I knew that my health had worsen from not sleeping in the night. I slept at 6 am and my Mom woke me up at 7 am. I was not in a condition to do anything, but I had to wake up. I drank the third Red Bull for my breakfast.
I prepared myself mentally; "studied or not I 'm going to pass today".
As soon as I entered the examination hall I could feel both, sleep and hunger.
I was hungry & very sleepy, had fever, studied for the exam in the worst possible manner and not to mention they were Board exams. How else can I possibly screw this up!
The ultimate test...
Luckily, the exam didn’t seem as tough. I knew certain things to the point which gave me some confidence. I started writing the things I knew well, which I soon realized, were few. I raelized I was not going to pass if I did not answer at least 2 more questions well. The majority of the questions were foreign for me. I tried to convert my past 15 years experience of my being on earth into a language which might make sense in the subject of chemistry. I managed to create some sense to the rest of the answers I wrote. I did miss Red Bull at some instances during the exam.
I completed my exam somehow and said to myself - "I did well buddy, I'm proud of you".
Coming out of the examination hall, I noticed my friends and everyone around me discussing the question paper. I briefly ignored everyone and went back home without saying a word to anyone. I never discussed that question paper with any of my classmates as I was scared I might get everything wrong and panic.
Few months fast-forward…
I felt lucky that I passed with 72/100. I couldn't believe what I saw. It was a moment of joy for me. I remembered the time I messed things up and how much better I could have done.
The learning...
"I was lucky I got through it. Don't let it happen to you. What ever time you wasted is gone and the time you have now will be past very soon. So don't sit and cry over the time you wasted. Whatever time you have is enough to get you through. Just make the best out of it and don't worry about the time you wasted. Its already gone! Think about the time you have."

Comments

Post a Comment